Backpacks and School Supplies
We encourage and support the children in our Outreach Food Pantry families in their education. At the beginning of each school year, Outreach provides school supplies for the school children in our pantry families and stocks of school supplies for students in need at a local school. Outreach also provides money for field trips, fees for extra-curricular activities, etc. Tutors have been arranged for students in need of extra help as well as scholarships for summer school when needed.
You Can Help!
It’s not too soon to start thinking about this important ministry for our parish outreach families and others in need for fall of 2018. Last year we helped over 90 children and we anticipate the need to be just as great this year. There are a variety of ways you can participate.
- Send a check to St. Paul’s, Ivy earmarked for school supplies in the memo line.
- Fill a backpack yourself. Backpacks will be available at the Parish Picnic on May 20 and the following 2 Sundays in the Parish Hall.
- This will be for elementary and middle school children only. There will be a list of supplies in each backpack.The filled backpacks will need to be returned to church no later than July 29.
- Our high school children have more specific (and expensive) needs depending on the classes they take.Their supplies will be purchased with the funds we are able to raise from parishioners and sponsors.
- We will need volunteers to help assemble the backpacks for high schoolers, and to supplement the elementary middle school backpacks with additional items such as tissues, wipes, etc. Assembly day will be August 4.
- We will also need volunteers to distribute the backpacks on August 15 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., when the Food Pantry is open.
We thank you, in advance, for supporting this valuable ministry. If you would like to sign up for Assembly day (August 4), or Distribution day (August 15), or have questions, please contact Susan Yesawich or Gina Thornton. P