We know you’ve missed it, and we’re excited to share that it’s back! Our Sunday morning formation offering, The Rector’s Forum (previously known as the Adult Forum) starts up again on Sunday, September 11! Join us between the services (about 9:15 a.m.) for our traditional Continental Breakfast and forum in the Parish Hall. Our tradition of bringing in engaging guest speakers will continue, in a slightly different format. This year’s Rector’s Forum will offer a more dialogue-centered event between the guest speaker and a member of the St. Paul’s, Ivy clergy, with plenty of opportunities for questions and comments from those gathered. (Speakers for the 2022-2023 season are lining up now, and include Kathy Thornton, a parishioner and former NASA astronaut; Joseph Varaksa and Richard VanArsdale, chaplains at the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail; and Charles Mathewes, a member of the UVA Dept of Religious Studies.)
Links to watch all the videos are below; see photos from the Rector’s Forum on our SmugMug photo album site.
This fall’s speaker schedule:
- September 11: The Rev. Justin McIntosh, State of the Parish, in the Sanctuary (watch now)
- September 18: The Rev. Richard Lord, The Relationship Between Spirituality and Health (watch now)
- September 25: Mr. Joseph Varaksa and Mr. Richard VanArsdale, Chaplains, Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail, Hope Is Everything (watch now)
- October 2: Ms. Page Gilliam and Ms. Denise McFadden, Georgia’s Friends, Become an Angel for a Woman in Recovery (watch now)
- October 9: The Rev. Roy G. Pollina, author of Justified by Her Children: Deeds of Courage Confronting a Tradition of Racism, a historical record of Christ Episcopal Church in Martinsville, Virginia (watch now)
- October 16: Mr. G. Kelly Eplee, Director of Donor Relations at Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville, Updates on the Southwood Development and other Habitat Projects (watch now)
- October 23 : Dr. Kathryn C. Thornton, Physicist and former NASA astronaut, Low Earth Orbit: Baby Steps in Space (watch now)
- October 30: Dr. Charles Matthewes, Carolyn M. Barbour Professor of Religious Studies, UVA, Why Does Evil Exist? (watch now)
- November 6: The Rev. Justin McIntosh and the Rev. Richard Lord, Faithful Voting: Christianity and Politics (watch now)
- November 13: Today’s Forum has been postponed to a later date. Continental Breakfast will be served in Neve Hall; Please enjoy the Commitment Sunday Lunch following the 10:30 a.m. worship service.
- November 20: Dr. George S. Bloom, Professor of Biology, Cell Biology, and Neuroscience, UVA, The Quest to Conquer Alzheimer’s Disease (watch now)
- December 4: Mr. David Zahl, Founder of Mockingbird Ministries and author of Seculosity and Low Anthropology (watch now)
- December 11: Rev. George Morris, UVA Basketball and Football Chaplain and Blue Ridge Multi-Area Director, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, The Ministry of Presence: What is the Ministry Jesus Modeled for Us and How, in Our World of Tragedy and Violence, Do We Live Out Our Calling to Serve.
Did you miss a speaker, or want to share one of our Sunday morning conversations with a friend? Recordings of our Rector’s Forums can be found here.